kentucky education development corporation
NEW Opportunity for KY Rank Advancement
The Kentucky Educational Development Corporation (KEDC), in partnership with BloomBoard, is offering a new low-cost alternative to earning advanced degrees. Educators across the state can now earn rank change through a micro-credential-based program that provides opportunities for career and compensation advancement.
Low-Cost with Deferment
The program is a low-cost alternative to graduate courses. Payment can be deferred until your expected salary increase goes into effect.
Completion of the program enables educators to earn a Rank Change and salary advancement!
Micro-credentials are job-embedded and much of the learning is integrated into your existing classroom practice.
Select micro-endorsements you want to complete based on your personal interests and professional goals.
Kentucky Administrative Regulations now state that districts can develop their own Continuing Education Option for licensure rank change and certificate renewal. KEDC’s continuing education program has been approved for advancement to Rank II or Rank I.
Use the salary calculator on the right to see how earning a rank change will impact your salary.
Program Structure & Supports
This Foundations in Teaching and Learning program is offered by BloomBoard, in partnership with KEDC. Founded in 2010, BloomBoard is the leading platform for educator advancement via micro-credentials. Our platform enables educators to earn micro-credentials by demonstrating competence in one specific skill at a time using a portfolio of evidence. Micro-credentials can be grouped together into micro-endorsements to offer educators tailored routes to improve their instructional practice, and qualify for rank change and compensation acceleration.
The program requires educators to complete a Foundations Micro-endorsement (12 micro-credentials total) along with an additional micro-endorsement (8 micro-credentials total) that educators can select based on personal interests and a final Capstone Project. Micro-credentials are job-embedded, meaning the learning is integrated into classroom practice and there are no classes or exams. They are also self-paced so we will not track time or attendance, you can progress as your schedule allows.
While the program offers a lot of flexibility, we have a number of supports in place to help you get started and ensure you’re making progress along the way, including:
Once you’ve completed enrollment, you’ll be invited to a kickoff orientation with your program facilitator/coach and other educators in your cohort.
Following the orientation, your coach will schedule weekly PLC sessions. These are optional and will be recorded if you choose to view them on your time.
Your assigned coach will host a weekly office hour should you need additional 1:1 support during the program.
Throughout the program, you can communicate with your coach and other educators in your cohort through the BloomBoard platform.
Sample Program Timeline
- Year 1: Educator will complete eight of the 12 micro-credentials required in the Foundations micro-endorsement.
- Year 2: Educator will complete the remaining four micro-credentials required in the Foundations Micro-endorsement and one of the two personalized micro-endorsements selected in the program.
- Year 3: Educator will complete the second personalized micro-endorsement selected in the program and their Capstone Project.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
What is the CEO Option?
Kentucky’s Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) has removed the requirement for teachers to earn Rank II through a board-approved master’s degree program in their first 10 years of teaching. Kentucky Administrative Regulations now state that districts can develop their own Continuing Education Option (CEO) for rank change and certificate renewal.
To support districts in offering their teachers a CEO and ensuring all requirements are met, the Kentucky Educational Development Corporation (KEDC) has developed a new low-cost continuing education framework that has been approved by the EPSB and qualifies teachers for advancement to Rank II or Rank I. This micro-credential based program was developed in partnership with BloomBoard, the leading platform for micro-credentialing.
Is this a certification on my license?
No, the program simply qualifies an educator for Rank change in the state of Kentucky. Rank change must be recognized by any district in the state.
How much does the program cost?
The total cost of the program is $5,000. The cost can be paid upfront or BloomBoard offers flexible financing options that (upon approval) provide educators with the opportunity to defer payment until your salary increase goes into effect.
How does the financing work?
Just like with any loan, you must first complete an application with our partners at Climb to get pre-approved. Once approved, Climb will provide you with various financing options and you can select the one that best meets your needs. Upon completion of the process your BloomBoard account will be created and you can begin the program.
What is the time commitment for completing the program?
The program is flexible and allows you to work at your own pace. It is a micro-credential based program and as such, much of the work is job-embedded and requires you to have access to students. The minimum amount of time it will take to complete is two years but you may take up to four years to complete the program.
Are there any program supports?
Yes. The program includes a number of supports, including:
- Upfront Orientation and Support PLC Sessions -As you begin your journey, our goal is to set you up for success. BloomBoard will lead an orientation and PLC sessions to guide you through the micro-credentials.
- Collaboration with Peers – When you start the program you will be part of a cohort of teachers. As you work through the micro-credentials you will be able to connect with these teachers through the BloomBoard platform and during your PLC sessions.
- Support from a Coach/Facilitator – Each cohort of teachers has an assigned facilitator and coach to support you as you work through the micro-credentials.
- Access to Resources – Each of the micro-credentials in the program includes relevant resources to help you successfully earn the micro-credential.
Once I obtain financing or pay by credit card, what happens next?
If you applied for financing and are approved, below are the next steps and estimated timing:
- Once you receive your approved offer for financing, you will need to accept and follow the process as provided by the lender. This can take 1-4 days to complete.
- Once you have accepted the offer, there is a four day rescission period which allows you to back out or cancel the loan if needed.
- Once you have passed the rescission period, within four business days you will receive an email with instructions for accessing your program and details on orientation to begin work. This will include pre-orientation activities to prepare, dates of orientation and BloomBoard Learning Community support sessions, and an introduction to your coach.
If you paid via credit card:
- There is a four day rescission period which allows you to back out of the program if needed.
- Once you have passed the rescission period, within five business days you will receive an email with instructions for accessing your program and details on orientation to begin work. This will include pre-orientation activities to prepare, dates of orientation and BloomBoard Learning Community support sessions, and an introduction to your coach.
How do I get started?
If you still have questions about the program, click the “Learn More” button below to schedule time with one of our program counselors.
If you are ready to secure your spot in our next cohort, click the “Get Pre-approved for Financing” button to begin the financing process. If you’re ready to get started but plan to pay for the program via credit card, click “Learn More” and we’ll contact you with next steps.
Earn a $100 Visa gift card for each teacher you refer to the program!
From now until March 31, BloomBoard is offering a $100 referral bonus for any educator who enrolls in the Program and refers another qualified educator to the Program.
In order for you to receive the $100 reward, the educator you refer MUST include your name on the Program Enrollment form below and must complete Program enrollment by March 31. Please see additional terms and conditions.
Terms & Conditions
- The Referral Promotion: BloomBoard wishes to offer a reward to educators who are enrolled in (or in the process of enrolling in) the BloomBoard-KEDC Rank II Pathway Program (the “Program”) and who refer other educators to BloomBoard to enroll in the Program (“Referrers”). Referrers may be eligible to receive Visa gift cards in the amount of $100 for every Qualified Referral (“Referral Rewards”). A Qualified Referral is a person who actively enrolls in the Program and designates the Referrer as the referring party on the Program Enrollment Form on the BloomBoard website at https://bloomboard.com/program/kedc-continuing-education/.
- Term: This Referral Promotion runs from January 14, 2021 through March 31, 2021 (the “Term”). Any referrals received by BloomBoard outside of this Term do not qualify.
- Eligibility: Referrers must be legally able to participate in the Referral Promotion, and must be 1) at least the age of majority where they reside but no less than 18 years of age, 2) be enrolled in the Program.
- Maximum Referral Rewards: A Referrer’s total Referral Rewards cannot exceed the cost of the Program. (e.g. for the full Program, a Referrer is eligible to receive Referral Rewards in an amount up to but not exceeding$5,000 in gift cards). In other words, a Referrer may receive Referral Rewards for a maximum of 50 Qualified Referrals.
- Multiple Referrals: A referral candidate must include the Referrer’s name on their original Program Enrollment Form. BloomBoard will issue only one Referral Reward per Qualified Referral. If a referral candidate submits a second enrollment form with a different Referrer’s name, the Referrer that is listed on that form will not be eligible for a Referral Reward.
- In order for the Referrer to qualify for a Referral Reward, both the Qualified Referral and Referrer must have completed Program enrollment by March 31, 2021. A person shall be deemed to have completed Program enrollment if they paid the Program fee upfront or completed a finance agreement through Climb.
- Each Referral Reward will be sent via email. All Referral Rewards will be sent to the Referrer within 30 days of the date by which both the Referrer and the Qualified Referral completes Program enrollment. If the parties complete Program enrollment on different dates, the date of the Referral Reward will be based upon the later of the two enrollment dates.